School & Teacher Programs
Select a theme from the Menu for your school visit
Transportation route map to VBMA drop off location
Museum Manners and Chaperone Expectations
The Vero Beach Museum of Art works closely with the School District of Indian River County and other educational institutions to offer learning opportunities for students and teachers throughout the year.
School Group Visits
The VBMA offers free guided tours of the exhibitions to school groups with advance reservation. These visits are designed for students in grades Pre-K –12, and include resource materials for teachers. Visits are designed to emphasize:
- Student centered, interactive, multisensory gallery activities
- Object focused engagements with authentic works of art for visual literacy
- Standards based interdisciplinary connections
- Inquiry based discussions; open-ended questions
- Socio-emotional learning and culturally sensitive interactions with all students
The VBMA is happy to customize engagements designed to connect with your curriculum, key standards and/or concepts for your classroom.
Please arrange for your visit no later than two to four weeks prior to your requested date by providing details including number and ages of students and adults, date and time requested, and specific exhibitions you wish to have emphasized by the Museum educators and docents.
- Group size – cap number of people (students plus adults) to 60 per tour
- Chaperone policy – 1:10 ratio PreK-3; 1:12 ratio Gr. 4-9; 1:15 ratio Gr. 10-12
- Pre- and post-visit materials available
- Length and timing of tours
o Monday—Friday 10am galleries only (times can be adjusted if necessary)
o 45-60 minutes tours only, 90 minutes with studio or write/sketch activity
o Studios 2-3 available on Fridays when available
A – 10:00-10:45 – galleries, 10:45-11:30– studio
B – 11:30-12:15 galleries, 12:15-1:00 studio
- 4-6 artworks per tour
- Studio art project or write/sketch components available when schedule permits
- Bus parking, loading/unloading groups via Museum atrium
Watch our video to prepare your students for their visit
Teacher groups can request professional development sessions at the VBMA or for school faculty meetings to learn more about how to integrate museum exhibitions and works of art into their curriculum.
School visual and performing arts groups have opportunities to participate with displays and performances for:
- The annual Children’s Art Festival
- Holidays at the Museum
- The middle and high school Indian River County Juried Student Exhibition
Art teachers can also reserve dates to display student work in the Eggert Children’s Gallery.
Students 14-18 can apply to volunteer during summer art camp, family festivals, and other VBMA education programs.