May 20 – September 3, 2023
Holmes and Titelman Galleries
The Vero Beach Museum of Art is pleased to announce the inaugural 2023 juried fine art exhibition of recent works of art by living local artists. Over the years, numerous artists have settled in and around Vero Beach, Florida. The VBMA seeks to recognize the outstanding quality and diversity of work being generated by contemporary artists. Artists who live in Indian River, Martin and St. Lucie Counties, as well as VBMA Members, are eligible to participate. Applications will be selected by a juror and up to 100 artists will receive invitations for participation in the 2023 Treasure Coast Creates exhibition, at the VBMA. Selected artists will be asked to submit a biography and an artist statement. This exhibition will highlight the artists and their artwork. Artists are allowed to submit up to 3 pieces. Selected artists WILL HAVE ONE ENTRY accepted into this art show.
1st Prize | $7,500
2nd Prize | $5,000
3rd Prize | $2,500
Exhibition Dates | May 20 – Sep 3, 2023
October 1, 2022 | Submission page live
February 1, 2023 | Submission deadline, electronic only
March 1, 2023 | Email notifications of acceptance, followed by Loan Agreements to accepted artists
May 8-12, 2023 | Drop off, hand-delivery and shipped works (at owners’ expense). Packing materials and artwork must be clearly labelled with artist name and artwork title. These are firm dates; works received after these dates will not be accepted
May 20, 2023 | Exhibition opens to public
May 26, 2023, 5-7pm | Opening Reception and Awards with Judge
September 11–15, 2023 | Pickup and return shipments of artwork (at owners’ expense)
JUROR AND JUDGE
Ellen E. Roberts, the Harold and Anne Berkley Smith Senior Curator of American Art at the Norton Museum of Art has been Curator of American Art at the museum since 2012. At the Norton, she has curated sixteen exhibitions, including the traveling shows Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney: Sculpture (2018) and O’Keeffe, Stettheimer, Torr, Zorach: Women Modernists in New York (2016), for which she also wrote the catalogues. She has also authored a book on Museum founder Ralph Norton and his collecting. Her future projects include the exhibitions Joseph Stella: Visionary Nature and The 306 Group: Art and Politics in 1930s Harlem. Roberts has published extensively during her tenure at the Norton, and in her previous role as Associate Curator of American Art at the Art Institute of Chicago, where she co-authored collections catalogues on American modernism and American Impressionism, and co-curated exhibitions on Edward Hopper, the Arts and Crafts movement, food and American painting, and Frank Lloyd Wright and Japanese art. She has a B.A. from Yale University and a Ph.D. in Art History from Boston University.
ELIGIBILITY AND SUBMISSION
- Open to professional / non-professional artists over the age of 18 at time of submission.
- Artists who live in and/or make art in Indian River County, Martin County and St. Lucie County, and VBMA members. There is a $15 fee to submit.
- Electronic submissions only at vbmuseum.org/cfe. Entry form must be filled out in its entirety.
- Upload up to 3 works, 1 image per artwork.
- Be sure your images are in the correct orientation, and name file using NAME_TITLE format.
- Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, RGB color space.
- Recent work only (made since 2019 – present.)
- All work must be original in concept and executed by the artist.
- All work must be original, unsold work, & the artist must own the sole copyright.
- Frames and mats must be of professional quality and in good condition.
- Plexiglass is highly recommended for framed artwork.
- All accepted work must remain for the duration of the exhibition.
- 2D Artwork selected for exhibition MUST BE READY TO HANG; no saw-tooth hangers; D-rings preferred and be securely fashioned to support the weight of the artwork.
- With the exception of 3D work and paintings on canvas/stretcher with clean edges, unframed or improperly mounted work will not be accepted.
- Max dimensions 2D and 3D: outside not any larger than 84 inches.
- List outside/overall/frame dimensions up to the nearest inch: height x width for 2D / height x width x depth for 3D work.
- A label with the name of artist, title, date (year) and contact information must be affixed to the back.
- VBMA does not display values, prices or red dots and does not broker on sales.
The VBMA has the right to refuse work for any reason. All reasonable care will be taken by VBMA staff with artwork and submissions. VBMA, its officers, volunteers, etc. shall not be held liable for the loss and damage to artwork, frames, or digital entries. VBMA suggests that participants carry separate insurance as provided under individual contracts with shippers and receiving agents. By entering an artwork into the exhibition, the artist grants permission for VBMA to reproduce work for publicity and educational purposes, both in print and digital formats. Copyright will be attributed to the artist. Entry into this exhibition constitutes agreement with all conditions set forth in this prospectus and entry form and is your commitment to participate. Your entry form is a legal and binding contract to deliver artwork that has been juried into the show.